Skip to content


Submit or approve timesheets here by selecting one of the options.

EU Settlement Scheme after Brexit: Information for Contractors

With so much uncertainty continuing to surround Brexit, it can be difficult to understand how you may be impacted. As a European citizen working for Rullion, we pledge to keep you up to date on Brexit negotiations by making sure you’re aware of any changes to legislation.

As it stands, the Government has reached an agreement with the EU to protect citizens’ rights after the UK leaves the EU. This will enable you and your family to continue to live in the UK as you do now. However, to secure your rights, you’ll need to apply for settled status through the EU Settlement Scheme, which will allow you to continue living in the UK after 2021.

Despite the ongoing discussions around Brexit, the introduction of the EU Settlement Scheme is relatively certain.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

The EU Settlement Scheme allows EU citizens to continue living and working in the UK after Brexit. If your application is successful, you’ll be awarded settled or pre-settled status. The status you get depends on how long you’ve been living in the UK when you apply.

  • EU citizens that have lived in the UK for five years from the start of their application date will be given settled status, meaning they can stay in the UK indefinitely and apply for British citizenship, if eligible.
  • EU citizens that have not yet accrued five years of residency will be given pre-settled status, with permission to extend their stay for a further five years, in which they can reapply for full settled status once they have lived in the UK for five years.

The scheme will open fully by 30th March 2019, with the final deadline for applications on 30th June 2021. However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you will need to be living in the UK by 29th March 2019 to apply, with the final deadline for applications on 31st December 2020.

Do I need to apply?

You need to apply if:

  • You’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • You were born in the UK but you’re not a British citizen
  • You have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
  • You’re married to a British citizen
  • You’re overseas and a family member of an EU, EE or Swiss citizen living in the UK

What rights will I have?

Once you have settled or pre-settled status, you and your family will be eligible to:

  • Work in the UK
  • Use the NHS
  • Enroll in education or continue studying
  • Access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if eligible
  • Travel in and out of the UK

Where can I find more information?

Please visit the official government site: for more information.

If you have any questions regarding the potential impact of Brexit, please contact your Rullion consultant.

Information on this page was posted in March 2019. Some of this information may change as updates to Brexit take effect. Please check back on our website for updates.