Do you have a proven track record of delivering complex Engineering or Science based projects?
Would you like to be part of the drive towards zero carbon, affordable energy?
Are you comfortable leading multidisciplinary project teams comprising the best scientists and engineers in their field?
Come and join the team aiming to deliver sustainable fusion energy within the next 20 years!
You'll become part of the PPMO (Programme and Projects Management Office) here at the UK Atomic Energy Authority. PPMO provides the stable of Project Managers taking the majority of projects forward for the organisation, as well as project planning, costing and process governance.
The role of the Project Manager is to lead / manage the project and the project team on a day-to-day basis. The Project Manager is responsible for driving and overseeing the delivery of the project to ensure that the objectives are clearly defined and achieved within the agreed time, cost and quality constraints. The Project Manager has a key role in project governance and working with stakeholders, to ensure the agreed project outputs are delivered to enable benefits to be realised.
This post is for a Project Managers within the PPMO to lead projects within the STEP Programme. STEP is a multi-year major project, which aims to realise a prototype fusion power plant in the UK by 2040.
We are looking for competent PM's who have over 3 years' continual experience of delivering complex projects, preferably as part of wider technical programmes. Experience of delivering under public sector governance arrangements is an advantage. Experience working and clearly communicating with highly skilled engineers/scientists is an advantage.
At UKAEA project managers are "vertically integrated" and have an active role at all levels (Exec communications through to managing "boots on the ground"). PMs need to be self motivated, and willing to author documents and "do work" and not just direct others.
The main responsibilities of the PM role are:
* Delivery - Create and lead the project to deliver the agreed outcomes within time, cost and quality constraints.
* Project Management - Day to day management and leadership of the project and the project team. Provide effective leadership and management controls. Set project controls. Design the project structure and organisation appropriate to stage. Set appropriate delivery methodologies. Manage effective transition between project phases. Ensure that the project SHE culture and working practices are in alignment with the UKAEA requirements
* Budget - Develop the budget, provide analysed cost estimations and track delivery within the budget.
* Resources - Identify skill requirements and deploy and develop resources needed for successful project delivery. Liaise with other Groups and Departments to ensure effective co-ordination and collaboration across interfaces and competing demands.
* Benefits Realisation - Deliver the agreed Business Case benefits and outcomes. Ensure an appropriate Benefits Realisation Strategy is in place and monitor longer term delivery of benefits against the Business Case in conjunction with the programme.
* Stakeholder Management - Identify and manage stakeholder relationships and need for senior level support. Manage internal and external relationships as appropriate, including multiple contracts under NEC framework terms.
* Risk Management - Identify and monitor project risks and issues. Develop mitigating actions and escalate as appropriate. Identify and work with related projects to manage interdependencies.
* Governance - Support and demonstrate effective governance and decision making in line with organisational policies and processes. Provide reporting as required for both the project and programme and engage in mechanisms that hold you, as Project Manager, to account for delivery.
* Assurance - Engage with assurance reviews and support action on recommendations. This will likely include formal external OGC reviews, alongside internal assurance processes. You will be required to organise assurance processes such as gateway reviews. In addition to assurance, the projects will likely be subject to both internal and external audit reviews.
* Change Management - Ensure effective Change Management processes are in place to agree and document changes to deliverables as agreed with stakeholders. These must align to existing corporate and programme change processes.
* Guidance and Support - Provide support, guidance and coaching for the project team. Show commitment to continual development and promote effective individual and team performance.
* Project Performance & Controls - Cascade vision and translate into delivery objectives for the team. Develop and maintain a robust Project Plan. Identify and set appropriate Project Controls. Manage performance and report progress to sponsors and into the wider programme.
* Professional Project Management Qualification (e.g. APMQ)
* MoR, Agile, MSP, MoP, P3O or similar qualification an advantage
* Track record of delivering multiple complex projects to budget, time and cost.
* Track record of successfully operating in a strong governance (gated process) delivery environment
* Experience of delivering under public sector governance arrangements is an advantage.
* Experience of successfully delivering projects with budget accountability ~£30Mp.a.
* Passion for ensuring good project management practices and culture
* A Pro-active approach to safety, with good appreciation of UK compliance requirements in design
* Experience working with development or qualification of advanced/nuclear materials would be an advantage
* Strong commercial awareness with the ability to make sound economic decisions that maximise project value
* Experience managing suppliers, ideally using NEC contracts
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with colleagues and senior managers from a range of scientific, technical and corporate backgrounds
* Excellent "hands on" organisation ability and drive to energise, manage, and monitor, multiple project threads/contracts/partners
* Ability to use a variety IT systems & software appropriate to the role
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.