Lead Mechanical Engineer
* Do you have an interest in emerging technology and robotic systems?
* Do you have experience originating and progressing designs from concept through detailed design to prototyping?
* Have you worked in design and development of complex mechanisms and machinery?
Come and join the team at RACE, (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments). We design Remote Handling equipment for fusion and non-fusion applications in challenging environments according to established project methodology. This will involve understanding and clarifying customer specifications, designing creative solutions to new problems, and managing medium sized projects to agreed time, quality and cost. Working at our unique, newly built facility in Culham, Oxfordshire.
RACE is part of UK Atomic Energy Authority, and together they are working help shape the future of the world`s energy playing a part in our carbon-free energy future.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
* Creation and design of effective remote handling mechanical robotic devices and tooling from concept through systems specifications to detail designs.
* Supervision of engineers and draughtsman to maintain high design standards and integrate design work.
* Coaching engineers in their career progression.
* Liaison with customers to report of project progress and to agree priorities.
* Drive and complete complex design activities within allotted time and with high efficiency, and ensuring designs are compliant with correct design files.
* Lead and manage the maintenance, diagnosis and repair of existing UKAEA and JET systems.
* Managing the acceptance, testing and commissioning of complex remote systems.
* Accountable for line management of a section of mechanical engineers including professional, technical and performance issues.
* Actively promotes UKAEA mission and values and compliance to UKAEA policies and procedures.
* Support project managers in developing budgets for labour and procurement of complex mechanical systems.
* Experience in designing complex electro/mechanical devices.
* Experience in managing designs and design teams.
* Experience in design substantiation analysis using hand calculation or finite element techniques.
* Competent in generating technical documents and specifications.
* Experience in using a CATIA v5.
* Ability to work as part of a larger team or group.
* Engineering council recognised mechanical engineering degree or equivalent experience.
* Engineers will be required from time to time to enter radioactive controlled areas to support the diagnosis and implantation of corrective action on JET equipment. Appropriate PPE and training will be provided in advance.
* Engineers will be requested to be on call to support operations.
* Engineers will be occasionally required to travel and work offsite in support of RACE project responsibilities and maybe asked to temporarily co-locate with our business partners.
Please note, on this site we are only able to offer contracts on a PAYE or Umbrella basis.
All successful applicants must undertake BPSS clearance.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.