Principal Mechanical Engineer
Job title: Principal Mechanical Engineer
Job Type: Contract
IR35 Status: Inside IR35
Start date: As soon as possible subject to clearance
Duration: 12 months
Pay rate: £50hr - £60hr Umbrella
Hours of work: 37 hours per week
Applicants must have experience of the following:
- Demonstrable experience in managing teams to deliver analysis activities on a range of project types
- Demonstrable experience in covering a variety of tasks across a range of complexities
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to interface with other disciplines
- Experience in managing engineering scope for Projects from concept design to full Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Engineering degree (or equivalent qualification) in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience
- Chartered Engineer status
- Member of relevant institute or significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council
- Breadth and depth of experience in a range of commercial or defence projects
The Principal Engineer provides leadership in the delivery of engineering and technical activities
through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
At this level; an experienced engineer, has a breadth of engineering knowledge & experience,
resolves a range of technical issues and problems, compiles technical reports and accompanying
presentations, provides, reviews and adheres to specifications in accordance with stakeholder
requirements. Coaches, mentors and assists others on matters pertaining to their own discipline,
developing business awareness, builds strong working relationships with stakeholders, works
independently with limited technical direction or as part of a small team.
This is the level for an experienced engineer working as a subject matter expert in a specialist
subject area (e.g. an engineering sub function). Understands concepts and principles, shapes,
designs, developments and determines a solution to functional issues personally undertakes the
most complex work within the subject area. Extends their business knowledge base in the subject
area. Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their
effective working, and their development, provides coaching and assistance to others.
The role must be fully aware of and adhere to Health & Safety standards and be fully familiar with all authorised documentation, Good Practice Guides and ISO standards.
- Ensure effective management of multi discipline teams to ensure timely & efficient delivery of engineering work to meet customer agreed scope
- Supervise engineers/technical specialists
- Promote effective co-operation across Engineering and other functional teams
- Ensure effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business, resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and informed of progress
- Ensure technical management of the engineering output to ensure delivery of technical solutions in line with agreed technical scope
- Produce, review, verify and approve outputs including: calculations, analyses, technical reports, technical specifications and method statements
- Ensure that adequate review, verification and approval is undertaken on all their deliverables and for those under their direct control and supervision
- Ensure that procedures, codes and standards are correctly identified and applied to engineering and technical activities
- Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of
responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours
- Manage resource demands and development of capability skills to match needs of assigned work scopes
- Ensure project and technical audits and review are planned & executed in order to impart learning and experience as appropriate and in line with agreed standards
- Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, promote a culture of engineering best practice, provide leadership and assist in driving cultural development and change
- Contribute to learning from experience (LfE). requirement, during and post project
- Support business development opportunities.
- Exercise care for own health and safety and that of others as defined by Health and Safety legislation, adhere to endorsed Company policy, procedures and delegations (e.g. Health & Safety, Diversity & Inclusion, Performance & Development Reviews and Finance etc.)
- Ensure application of highest standards for health and safety in immediate area of responsibility and ensure all team members across engineering co-operate with respect to company standards about matters on health, safety and environment, ethics and behaviours
- Support the business winning process through input into or review of tender requirements, including estimates
- Leading Self: Is a role model, demonstrating the organisations principles, promoting health, safety and wellbeing, respect and inclusion
- Leading Others: Owns the performance and development of their team members, including effective and ongoing communication and feedback
- Leading Resources: Responsible for effective planning and organisation of resources to deliver on customer promises
Interested in this position? please click "apply now"
We try to respond to all applicants, but sometimes this is not possible due to high volumes of applications; if you have not heard from us within 14 days, regrettably it means you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
This contract is being advertised by Rullion Ltd.
Since 1978, Rullion has been securing exceptional candidates for a range of clients; from large well-known brands, to SMEs and start-ups. As a family-owned business, Rullion's approach is credible and honest, focused on building long-lasting relationships with both clients and candidates.
Rullion is a forward-thinking recruitment company that specialises in providing a wide range of talent consultancy services to a diverse client base; from small start-ups to large household names.
We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.