Lead Mechanical Design Engineer
* Do you have an interest in emerging technology and robotic systems?
* Do you have experience originating and progressing designs from concept through detailed design to prototyping?
* Have you worked in design and development of complex mechanisms and machinery?
Come and join the team at RACE, (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments). We design Remote Handling equipment for fusion and non-fusion applications in challenging environments according to established project methodology. This will involve understanding and clarifying customer specifications, designing creative solutions to new problems, and managing medium sized projects to agreed time, quality and cost. Working at our unique, newly built facility in Culham, Oxfordshire.
RACE is part of UK Atomic Energy Authority, and together they are working help shape the future of the world`s energy playing a part in our carbon-free energy future.
Design Remote Handling equipment for fusion and non-fusion applications in challenging environments according to established project methodology. This will involve understanding and clarifying customer specifications, designing creative solutions to new problems, and managing medium sized projects to agreed time, quality, and cost. RACE is a centre of excellence in the UK that will benefit external industries and organisations to build an international reputation for excellence in the field of Remote Handling.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
* Creation and design of effective remote handling mechanical robotic devices and tooling from concept through systems specifications to detail designs.
* Supervision of engineers and draughtsman to maintain high design standards and integrate design work.
* Liaison with customers to report of project progress and to agree priorities.
* Drive and complete complex design activities within allotted time and with high efficiency, and ensuring designs are compliant with correct design files.
* Lead and manage the maintenance, diagnosis, and repair of existing UKAEA and JET systems.
* Managing the acceptance, testing, and commissioning of complex remote systems.
* Actively promotes UKAEA mission and values and compliance to UKAEA policies and procedures.
* Support project managers in developing budgets for labour and procurement of complex mechanical systems.
* Experience in designing complex electro/mechanical devices.
* Experience in managing designs and design teams.
* Experience in design substantiation analysis using hand calculation or finite element techniques.
* Competent in generating technical documents and specifications.
* Experience in using CATIA v5.
* Ability to work as part of a larger team or group.
* Engineering council recognised mechanical engineering degree or equivalent experience.
* Engineers will be required from time to time to enter radioactive controlled areas to support the diagnosis and implantation of corrective action on JET equipment. Appropriate PPE and training will be provided in advance.
* Engineers will be requested to be on call to support operations.
* Engineers will be occasionally required to travel and work offsite in support of RACE project responsibilities and maybe asked to temporarily co-locate with our business partners.
Technical/ Professional 80% Project Management 20% People Management 0%
Generic descriptors for all roles in this job family and level (This is standard information, please do not amend)
The first two descriptors relate to an overview of the role for the level within this job family
Role Snapshot Job holders at this level plan, coordinate & perform engineering, design, testing and/or analysis work for a complete project of moderate scope or for significant packages of work within a major & diverse project. Job holders will be recognised as an internal expert in a specific field & will provide technical advice & guidance. May act as lead person, providing technical leadership & engineering solutions. May assign, coordinate & review the work of other engineers / apprentices.
Typical Representative Duties Responsible for managing assigned projects & work packages in order to deliver required results within specification, time & cost parameters. Check/signing off work completed by others in their area of specialism to ensure quality & consistency. Coach & supervise less experienced colleagues & provide advice to other engineering colleagues in their field of expertise in order to develop overall capability. Within a specific area, set & monitor standards to establish & maintain best practice & quality. Effective management of risk and safety requirements. Identify opportunities for improvements & propose solutions in order to contribute to continuous improvement within UKAEA. Undertake or contribute to design studies on behalf of external customers. Communicate with a range of UKAEA colleagues to ensure a shared understanding of technical issues, work requirements & progress.
Decision Making Negotiates & makes decisions regarding elements of projects. Makes decisions regarding how to resolve issues. Selects tools & methodologies for projects. Approves decisions & actions within the remit of policies & procedures.
Analytical Skills Seek opportunities for the application of specialist skills & knowledge. Make final recommendations for the development of new engineering methods / techniques. Within established standards & precedents, the jobholder must identify, define & analyse alternative courses of action using analytical, evaluative and/or constructive thinking.
Project Role Collaborates with others to define the project scope. Ensures projects are completed on time & within budget & all deliverable deadlines are met. Competent in project management. May collaborate externally on projects. May be working on cross-discipline projects. Takes projects from innovation through to implementation.
Budget Management Negotiates budget requirements.
Communication & Influencing Requires the skills & knowledge to understand, influence, drive, & negotiate with internal & external customers, suppliers & colleagues. Requires the ability to explain the implications of work & decisions. Develops & empowers others.
External Links Works with both internal colleagues & external partners. Forms & maintains links with external professional networks, universities, suppliers & collaborators as relevant within the scope of the role. Publishes papers/reports.
People Management May manage a section to ensure appropriate completion of work & development covering the full range of people responsibilities. Identify & propose recruitment and learning solutions.
Typical Technical Expertise, Experience & Skills Demonstrates several years' experience towards chartered status. Either has or working towards Masters degree for Chartered Status. May be externally recognized in a narrow field.
UKAEA Organisational Knowledge Understands how to influence project shaping & delivery.
These are the typical competencies required at this level but may be tailored to reflect specific job types. Refer to the full competency matrix for examples of behaviours at each level.
Passion Nurturing science and technological excellence, remaining determined, flexible and positive to the challenges we face. Open to new ways of working and promoting diversity. Proud of who we are and enthusiastic about the pursuit of our mission.
Innovation Seeking creative ways to change, solve problems and push scientific & technical boundaries. Working at the frontier of knowledge, being curious, building on ideas and challenging status quo always in a safe and inclusive manner.
Accountability Taking ownership to achieve quality outcomes. Fostering a sense of urgency in delivering against our commitments in a safe working manner. Dedicated to our work, admitting mistakes and learning from them. Honest and always acting in the best interests of individuals and the organisation.
Business-minded Commercially astute, seeking out new business opportunities and managing potential risks. Being cost conscious, acting with integrity, delivering on expectations and challenging what doesn't add value.
Delivery Working together cooperatively to achieve the best possible result. Demonstrating a 'can do' approach which delivers 'fit for purpose' quality in all we do. Following the process and responding positively to change and continuous improvement.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.