Senior Database Platform Engineer
Do you want to innovate with technology? If so, this is the role for you. We're using the latest technology to do things the water industry has never done before.
We are looking to hire Senior Database Platform Engineers to join our team in Digital Services at United Utilities. We have a team of over 300 digital experts which are making an impact day to day.
Our Digital Operations team provide 24/7/365 support to the whole estate be that mobile phones, laptops, desktops and applications to technology that powers and runs our water and wastewater treatment works - we keep it all safe and secure.
We are focused on transforming to new ways of working with new emerging technology so this is a great opportunity to join us to learn, develop and grow your career.
As the Senior Database Platform Engineer, you will help to maintain United Utilities Oracle, Microsoft SQL, data management and associated technology.
What you'll do
- You will to ensure databases, data services, associated software and management are reliable and their availability 24/7/365, as well as ensure performance, optimisation and tuning of key queries across the database estate.
- You will be responsible for reviewing, approving, maintaining build configuration and hardening standards relating to upgrades, new technologies or project delivery, and ensure IT systems and services comply with legal and regulatory requirements like GDPR, NIS directive, etc.
- As well as ensure effective security is developed and maintained within our databases and data systems, you will also ensure databases and data systems are reliably backed up and protected (including recovery) to mitigate risk of data loss or corruption and to ensure productivity of the business.
- We will need you to make sure all software products, software options/modules and tools are approved for deployment and fully licensed prior to installation, as well as ensure standard operating procedures are documented, regularly reviewed and updated.
What you'll bring
- We're looking for someone who has the ability to manage multiple and often competing priorities and workloads balancing between urgency, risk and business value to effectively manage time.
- You will have a good knowledge and experience with database and data management technologies like Oracle, Microsoft SQL and MongoDB, as well as operating systems, like Windows, Linux and Solaris.
- We need you to have a good understanding of security best practices, including principle of least privileges and access control, and experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Shell and Bash scripts, Perl, Curl, etc.
So, if you want to join at FTSE 100 company, that wants to disrupt the water industry with technology, and you want to make a positive change in the world please apply below and tell us about yourself.
This role is based at our fantastic Lingley Mere head office site, where you will have access to a variety of onsite facilities including free parking, on-site gym, restaurant and coffee shop.
We also have some lovely scenic walks available onsite for those who enjoy the outdoors.
In addition to a competitive salary, you'll also be entitled to some extra perks including:
- Access to a great pension scheme
- Competitive annual leave entitlement
- The option to buy additional holidays or to sell some of your holiday entitlement back
- Eligibility to join our employee Share Scheme, enabling you to buy shares in the company directly out of your salary
- Access to a company performance-related bonus scheme
- Tax and National Insurance-efficient initiatives, such as childcare vouchers and discounted healthcare and dental plans
- Free transport to work if you travel from the Warrington Interchange to our Lingley Mere site using our free shuttle bus service
- Discounted childcare rates at our Lingley Mere nursery for children aged 0-5
- Discounted gym membership at on-site gym at Lingley Mere
- Generous maternity and adoption benefits plus paternity and shared parental leave
- Access to range of family friendly policies to help you balance your work and home life