Lead Systems Management Engineer
Are you a Lead Systems Management Engineer looking to join a thriving team of Digital Experts? If so, this is the role for you.
We are looking for a Lead Systems Management Engineer to join our expanding Digital Services business area at United Utilities.
Our team of over 300 digital experts are a diverse bunch and making an impact on society and the environment is important to us.
Our Digital Operations team provide 24/7/365 support to the whole estate be that mobile phones, laptops, desktops and applications to technology that powers and runs our water and wastewater treatment works - we keep it all safe and secure.
We are focused on transforming to new ways of working with new emerging technology so this is a great opportunity to join us to learn, develop and grow your career.
In this role, you will be responsible for routine and non-routine complex build and the lifecycle management of systems management infrastructure and associated software technologies underpinning United Utilities current and future IT strategy.
Not only will the role involve systems monitoring and alerting, but also software configuration management, host network segmentation platform, network time protocol appliances and source code management repositories.
What you'll do
- You will lead the way in ensuring systems management platforms and associated services are reliable and their availability 24/7/365, as well as ensure performance, optimisation and tuning of systems management.
- You will be the Subject matter expert within Digital Services for general configurations, implementations and operational requirements.
- We need you to be responsible for the review, approving, maintaining build and configuration relating to upgrades, new technologies or project delivery, and you'll need to ensure IT systems and services comply with regulatory and legal requirements like GDPR, NIS directive, etc.
- You will ensure effective security is developed and maintained within systems and services which meets current and foreseeable business needs in accordance with United Utilities policies and industry security best practice.
- We will need your help in assisting in the development of the strategic plan for infrastructure management and automation tools, as well as contribute to development of a technology lifecycle roadmap that captures lifecycle and replacement of supported products.
What you'll bring
- We need someone who has a good understanding and knowledge of Operating systems, like Windows, Linux and Solaris, and who can demonstrate clear and concise technical writing ability.
- You will have experience of Microsoft System Center and able to demonstrate expert knowledge of at least one of SCOM, SCCM or SCORCH, as well as have experience and knowledge in Microsoft components and infrastructure software and associated management and monitoring capabilities.
- Experience of working in a Linux command line environment.
- We're looking for someone with experience with several scripting languages (for example PowerShell, Shell and Bash scripts, Perl) as well as experience with data interchange languages like XML, JSON and YAML.
So, if you want to join a FTSE 100 company, that wants to disrupt the water industry with technology, and you want to make a positive change in the world please apply below and tell us about yourself.
This role is based at our fantastic Lingley Mere head office site, where you will have access to a variety of onsite facilities including free parking, on-site gym, restaurant and coffee shop.
We also have some lovely scenic walks available onsite for those who enjoy the outdoors.
In addition to a competitive salary, you'll also be entitled to some extra perks including:
- Access to a great pension scheme
- Competitive annual leave entitlement
- The option to buy additional holidays or to sell some of your holiday entitlement back
- Eligibility to join our employee Share Scheme, enabling you to buy shares in the company directly out of your salary
- Access to a company performance-related bonus scheme
- Tax and National Insurance-efficient initiatives, such as childcare vouchers and discounted healthcare and dental plans
- Free transport to work if you travel from the Warrington Interchange to our Lingley Mere site using our free shuttle bus service
- Discounted childcare rates at our Lingley Mere nursery for children aged 0-5
- Discounted gym membership at on-site gym at Lingley Mere
- Generous maternity and adoption benefits plus paternity and shared parental leave
- Access to range of family friendly policies to help you balance your work and home life
We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.