Lead Middleware Platform Engineer
Do you want to work for a forward thinking team which is leading the 24/7/365 maintenance for all systems at United Utilities?
This is a key role within the Digital Services team. We are looking for a Lead Middleware Platform Engineer who will be responsible for routine and non-routine complex build, provisioning, support, maintenance, and the lifecycle management of middleware infrastructure and associated software technologies underpinning the company's current and future IT strategy.
Our team of over 300 digital experts are a diverse bunch and making an impact on society and the environment is important to us. We'd love for you to join the team in this challenging but exciting role.
What you'll do
- You will ensure middleware, platform systems and services are reliable and are available 24/7/365 as well as ensure the performance, optimisation and tuning of critical middleware, platform systems and services.
- You will review, approve and maintain build and configuration and hardening standards relating to upgrades, new technologies or project delivery and you will be responsible for ensuring IT systems and services comply with legal and regulatory requirements like GDPR, NIS directive, etc.
- Not only will you create and maintain a technology lifecycle roadmap that capture end of support life and replacement, but you will also manage, support and maintain the patching and upgrades of middleware, associated platform services and software management.
Sound good so far?
What you'll bring
- First of all, you will have expert knowledge and experience with middleware software and API gateways as well as web server and application platforms, information and file exchange gateways, batch scheduling and orchestration software, and large data indexing and search technologies.
- You will have the ability to manage multiple and often competing priorities and workloads balancing between urgency, risk and business value to effectively manage time.
- We are looking for someone who has experience with NGINX, MS IIS, JBOSS, web servers and application platforms, Apache, Tomcat, JAVA, WebLogic and .net framework, as well as experience in TLS/SSL/PKI concepts, certificate deployment and configuration including renewal.
- We need someone who can script languages such as PowerShell, Shell and Bash scripts, Perl, Curl, etc.
So, if you want to join a FTSE 100 company, that wants to disrupt the water industry with technology and you want to make a positive change in the world please apply below and tell us about yourself.
This role is based at our fantastic Lingley Mere head office site, where you will have access to a variety of onsite facilities including free parking, on-site gym, restaurant and coffee shop.
We also have some lovely scenic walks available onsite for those who enjoy the outdoors.
In addition to a competitive salary, you'll also be entitled to some extra perks including:
- Access to a great pension scheme
- Competitive annual leave entitlement
- The option to buy additional holidays or to sell some of your holiday entitlement back
- Eligibility to join our employee Share Scheme, enabling you to buy shares in the company directly out of your salary
- Access to a company performance-related bonus scheme
- Tax and National Insurance-efficient initiatives, such as childcare vouchers and discounted healthcare and dental plans
- Free transport to work if you travel from the Warrington Interchange to our Lingley Mere site using our free shuttle bus service
- Discounted childcare rates at our Lingley Mere nursery for children aged 0-5
- Discounted gym membership at on-site gym at Lingley Mere
- Generous maternity and adoption benefits plus paternity and shared parental leave
- Access to range of family friendly policies to help you balance your work and home life
We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.