Lead Database Platform Engineer
Do you want to innovate with technology? We're using the latest technology to do things the water industry has never done before.
We are looking to hire a Lead Database Platform Engineer to join our Digital Operations team within Digital Services.
Our team of over 300 digital experts are a diverse bunch and making an impact on society and the environment is important to us.
Our Digital Operations team provide 24/7/365 support to the whole estate be that mobile phones, laptops, desktops and applications to technology that powers and runs our water and wastewater treatment works - we keep it all safe and secure.
We are focused on transforming to new ways of working with new emerging technology so this is a great opportunity to join us to learn, develop and grow your career.
What you'll do
- You will take responsibility for routine and non-routine complex deployments, configuration, support and managing and maintenance of Oracle, Microsoft SQL, data management and associated technology.
- You will ensure that the databases, data services and associated software and management are reliable and available 24/7/365.
- Performance tuning and optimisation of critical databases, data systems and services.
- You will maintain build configuration relating to upgrades, new technologies or project delivery.
- Ensure IT systems and services comply with legal and regulatory requirements like GDPR, NIS directive, etc.
- Ensure databases and data systems are reliably backed up and protected (including recovery) to mitigate risk of data loss or corruption and to ensure productivity of the business.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot complex faults and issues.
- Contribute to out-of-hours support rota for specific database related incidents.
What you'll bring
- You will be educated to degree level in an IT discipline, or equivalent.
- You will demonstrate the ability to manage multiple and often competing priorities and workloads balancing between urgency, risk and business value to effectively manage time.
- Expert knowledge and experience with database and data management technologies like Oracle, Microsoft SQL, MongoDB, etc.
- You will have good knowledge and experience of using operating systems, like Windows, Linux and Solaris.
- Demonstrate methodical and analytical approach in troubleshooting, problem solving and remediation with a sense of ownership.
- Good understanding of security best practices, including principle of least privileges and access control.
- You will have experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Shell and Bash scripts, Perl, Curl, etc.
- We would like expert knowledge and experience using T-SQL, PL/SQL and building, configuring, supporting and maintaining Oracle and MS SQL databases versions 11g to 18c and 2008 to 2019 respectively.
- Self-driven to maintain abreast and informed on current and related emerging technologies both on-premises and cloud.
- Certification would be an advantage in either Oracle or MS SQL database technologies.
- Experience in TLS/SSL/PKI concepts, certificate deployment and configuration including renewal.
- Knowledge and experience of batch scheduling software, preferable IBM Workload Scheduler (IWS).
- Knowledge and experienced with capacity planning, management and utilisation reporting.
- Experience with system and data backup software (ideally Veeam, EMC DDboost and IBM Spectrum Suite).
- Good knowledge and experience with virtualisation technologies like VMware ESXi.
- Experience with Oracle APEX.
- Good knowledge of hosting capabilities including Cloud and Hybrid deployments.
- ITIL processes and standards, and preferably have attained at least ITIL Foundation Level.
Working at United Utilities, you'll continuously make a positive impact on society, providing an essential service to millions of people as well as playing a huge role in creating a cleaner, greener environment by ultimately reducing water waste & improving water quality across the North West using innovative technology. After all, we're responsible for the one product that everybody in the planet needs!
So, if you want to join at FTSE 100 company, that wants to disrupt the water industry with technology, and you want to make a positive change in the world please apply below and tell us about yourself.
This role is based at our fantastic Lingley Mere head office site, where you will have access to a variety of onsite facilities including free parking, on-site gym, restaurant and coffee shop.
We also have some lovely scenic walks available onsite for those who enjoy the outdoors.
In addition to a competitive salary, you'll also be entitled to some extra perks including:
- Access to a great pension scheme
- Competitive annual leave entitlement
- The option to buy additional holidays or to sell some of your holiday entitlement back
- Eligibility to join our employee Share Scheme, enabling you to buy shares in the company directly out of your salary
- Access to a company performance-related bonus scheme
- Tax and National Insurance-efficient initiatives, such as childcare vouchers and discounted healthcare and dental plans
- Free transport to work if you travel from the Warrington Interchange to our Lingley Mere site using our free shuttle bus service
- Discounted childcare rates at our Lingley Mere nursery for children aged 0-5
- Discounted gym membership at on-site gym at Lingley Mere
- Generous maternity and adoption benefits plus paternity and shared parental leave
- Access to range of family friendly policies to help you balance your work and home life