Hosting Platform Engineer
Do you want to innovate with technology? We’re using the latest technology to do things the water industry has never done before.
We are looking to hire a Hosting Platform Engineer to join our team in Digital Services at United Utilities. We have a team of over 300 digital experts which are making an impact on a daily basis.
Our Digital Operations team provide 24/7/365 support to the whole estate. Whether it’s mobile phones, laptops, desktops and applications, or technology that powers and runs our water and wastewater treatment works – we keep it all safe and secure
We are focused on transforming new ways of working with new emerging technology. This is a great opportunity to join us to learn, develop and grow your career.
What you'll do
- You will ensure hosting platforms, associated components and software are reliable and are available 24/7/365, where applicable.
- You will ensure the performance and optimisation of the hosting platforms and associated infrastructure, and will be responsible for standard implementations, configurations and operational requirements.
- You will ensure all hardware/software/firmware products, software options/modules and tools are approved for deployment and fully licensed prior to installation.
- Contribute to continuous improvements in proactive and preventative monitoring of services.
- You will also ensure platforms are patched and maintained in accordance with standards and best practice.
- Act as a technical escalation for hosting platform and associated infrastructure faults.
- You will need to provide technical support and advice for hosting platform services related Incidents.
- Perform standard diagnosis and troubleshooting of hosting infrastructure and associated software components during fault incidents.
- Contribute to out-of-hours support rota for specific hosting platform related incidents.
- Provide out-of-hours support for changes, upgrades, migrations and go-live of key IT systems.
What you'll bring
- You will have an understanding and knowledge of operating systems, like Windows, Linux and Solaris
- Knowledge and understanding of current and emerging data storage technologies and capabilities, including data and system backup technologies (Veeam, VeeamOne, IBM Spectrum Suite, EMC DDBoost) and capabilities (both on-premises and cloud based).
- We need you to have technical knowledge and understanding of operational tools, automation (Red hat Ansible and System Centre Orchestrator), host replication and security protection technologies.
- An understanding and knowledge of Red hat Satellite and Microsoft System Center (SCOM and SCCM).
- Experience and knowledge in Microsoft software components and infrastructure software, associated management and monitoring capabilities.
- Experience with scripting languages such as PowerShell, Shell and Bash scripts, Perl, Curl, etc.
- Understanding and configuration knowledge of SAN storage platforms, SAN fabrics and zoning.
- Experience and configuration knowledge of backup storage platform e.g. EMC Data Domain as well as object and file based storage e.g. EMC ECS and EMC Unity.
- Good Knowledge and understanding of hosting technologies including Cloud and Hybrid deployments.
- Technical knowledge of current virtualisation technologies and awareness of emerging capabilities.
- Educated in an IT discipline, certification or equivalent.
So, if you want to join at FTSE 100 company, that wants to disrupt the water industry with technology, and you want to make a positive change in the world we would like to hear from you.
This role is based at our fantastic Lingley Mere head office site, where you will have access to a variety of onsite facilities including free parking, on-site gym, restaurant and coffee shop.
We also have some lovely scenic walks available onsite for those who enjoy the outdoors.
In addition to a competitive salary, you’ll also be entitled to some extra perks including:
- Access to a great pension scheme
- Competitive annual leave entitlement
- The option to buy additional holidays or to sell some of your holiday entitlement back
- Eligibility to join our employee Share Scheme, enabling you to buy shares in the company directly out of your salary
- Access to a company performance-related bonus scheme
- Tax and National Insurance-efficient initiatives, such as childcare vouchers and discounted healthcare and dental plans
- Free transport to work if you travel from the Warrington Interchange to our Lingley Mere site using our free shuttle bus service
- Discounted childcare rates at our Lingley Mere nursery for children aged 0-5
- Discounted gym membership at on-site gym at Lingley Mere
- Generous maternity and adoption benefits plus paternity and shared parental leave
- Access to range of family friendly policies to help you balance your work and home life
We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.