Communications Operator & Dispatcher
Purpose of the role
To answer emergency and non-emergency calls from the public, police officers, internal and external customers.
- Simultaneous call handling processes (staff will be using the phone, adding data to IT systems and referring to established assessment processes at the same time). Demonstrate highly developed communication skills through clear and effective updates to both internal and external contacts in support of Force Vision and Code of Ethics
- Evaluate the comparative nature and urgency of all calls and decide the most appropriate
course of action identified within pre-determined processes and protocols.
- Record incidents on the Incident Management System (IMS), ensuring compliance with National standards and Constabulary policy including GDPR following organisational procedures.
- Provide administrative support as required.
- Provide a service and maintain records in accordance with the requirements of the Constabulary Code of Practice.
Skills and experience:
- The ability to listen and question effectively, consider options for actions, and respond appropriately and sensitively to requests for information and assistance, based on training, knowledge and Force policies.
- Resilient, reliable and able to cope in a pressurised environment with the ability to remain calm and accurate in a variety of situations.
- Ability to use own initiative, professional judgement to solve problems and identify risk.
Proven keyboard skills with the ability to operate multiple computer systems and the aptitude/commitment to use new technologies/systems. Ability to capture information quickly and accurately.
- Ability to work as part of a team, supporting other team members with enquiries and problem solving.
- Ability to obtain Developed Vetting (DV) clearance, NPPV and any other vetting required for the role.
We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.