- Date Posted: 03 July 2018
Rullion Recruitment is one of the leading independent recruitment agencies in the UK, with annual turnover in excess of £360m. Rullion are an ambitious rapidly-growing business with a focus on leveraging technology to offer advanced value added services to its clients and consultants.
We are a mid-sized company (300 people) based in South Manchester, we have our own development team creating applications for our customers and internal use. We see technology as a key differentiator in the marketplace and central to the growth of our business.
Summary of the Role
Over the next twelve months your role will be to contribute to the rearchitecting of our two core products. Both products will need to be rethought from the ground up while continuing to deliver value.
We believe that software development is a craft and are looking for people that are passionate about what they do. There is big difference between “I write code” and “I am a developer”.
You will be joining a growing, forward looking team working on new corporate software development and integration projects in addition to the modernisation of existing key products.
Over the next 12 months we will:
- Re-platform one of our products
- UI/UX Transformation of another
- Improved development practices and processes
- Integrate with multiple partners
- Introduce multiple new technologies
Your key responsibilities are:
- Take part in the entire development life cycle from conception through to testing and delivery
- Cut quality code in line with industry best practices with a focus on maintainability, readability and testability
- Engage in and improve Agile best practices within the team
- Constantly assess industry trends and new technologies with a view to improving our processes and technology stack
- Aid and assist the team, providing mentoring to up-skill the team in new technology and development practices
- Contribute to architectural design and implementation for new software and evolution of existing systems
- Engage with key stakeholders to assess and understand where the greatest value can be added
- Troubleshoot development and production problems across multiple environments for new and existing systems
Qualifications, skills & experience
To be a key contributor you will need to:
- Be able to rapidly learn new domains and understand complex business processes
- Understand how to work at an abstract architectural and concrete implementation level
- Be prepared to take ownership of an applications full lifecycle
- Have experience of designing API’s, some RESTful
We currently work with Java 8, Node.js, there are also legacy java and RhinoJS applications that will be the focus for transformation. These technologies are not a requirement, but they are what we are using now, so knowledge will be helpful. Most of our current applications are using MySQL for storage.
Our applications are deployed in containers and we are moving towards Kubernetes for orchestration. We are using Kafka to carry messages and as the start of our journey towards an event-based architecture.
We tend to work in an agile way in that work is clearly prioritised and delivered in small chunks, we are working to make the chunks smaller and the delivery more frequent. It’s not perfect but we are continuously improving the way that we work.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.
- Contract: Permanent
- Schedule: Full Time (35 hours per week)
- Reference: RULLION00052
Have a query about our application process?
Check our FAQs for more information.